View Single Post
Old December 28 2012, 04:51 AM   #253
Longinus
Commander

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

TREK_GOD_1 wrote: View Post

You cannot "study" generations' worth of prayer and its effects on millions. Sorry, but investing your atheist hope in bankrupt "studies" will not move you anywhere near truth, or a greater understanding of history's accounts, when the "studies" are anything other than comprehensive--possible to reach a (likely pre-concieved) conclusion.
Yes, studying the reality will not get us any closer to the truth... Right. This is exactly what is wrong with the religious mindset.

You really should take a look at the website Timelord Victorious posted a link to. It has the prayer thing pretty well covered.

Slim to one who has not studied the historical record--or is deliberately holding on to a fiction as a means of keeping his platform alive.
I have on another message board argued for existence of historical Jesus. I know the evidence and it is not terribly strong. Most of it outside the Bible merely refers to what Christians say, and is written centuries or decades acter he alledgedly lived. I still find it more likely that he existed than not, though. Seems like the easiest explanation.

Arrogance--if not raging hatred is the only reason you are in this thread--the irony of the post above, is that you do not attack Judaism, Islam, or any other major faith--but center--on Christianity, as your ill resentment for it is obvious. Again, the agenda is clear.
Christianity is most widespread western religion by far. It is a natural reference point. And no, I have no particular animosity towards it. In fact, of the three religions mentioned I certainly like it most on the personal level, although I find the supernatural elements of each equally unlikely.

...enter the lies. Unlike you, I presented the film's facts--not attempt to spin it into some scientific process never implied, intended or seen in the film. How are you not getting why it is so easy to call you on this?
Nonsense. Dialogue is not vague. It was scripted to tell both Kirk and the audience a specific about a religious belief and practice. That is basic storytelling--so no one is left grasping for meaning, or filling in blanks (left by other films suffering from a poor story). This was the case with the STIII script, and since its 1984 release, next to no one ever questioned what Sarek said, or how the Katra was restored to Spock.

It is only through your frustration/hatred of religion that you tried to rewrite the plot by suggesting a scientific element nowhere to be found in the script, and rejecting the reason why no scientifc element was applied to the katra plot.
Where is the line? Are Vulcan mind melds non-scientific to you? Betazoid telepathy? I am afraid I do not understand your line of thinking. To me these are alien species that have senses and abilities that humans do not posses, but they're not more 'magical' than human ability of sight would be to a species entirely completely lacking sense of vision. And yes, I agree that Katras appear mystical, but they're still things that must be stored physically. It is a backup of the person's mind, not a soul in Christian sense. It cannot exist independently.

Your hatred and bitter posts run through this thread, and have been cited. At this point, your denial is about as believable as the axe murderer standing in a basement full of dismembered bodies, covered in blood, holding the weapon in one hand, a head in the other and after being discovered, shrugs his shoulders and utters, "huh? I don't know where these fresh victims came from. This stuff was here when I moved in 15 years ago."
Ah okay. Glad that this was cleared. I really must polish my polite conversation skills and start calling people who disagree with me 'liars' and start comparing them to axe murderers to appear less bitter and hateful...
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote