Thread: Earth's Role
View Single Post
Old December 27 2012, 10:42 PM   #27
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: Earth's Role

DalekJim wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
And I have absolutely no idea what he's talking about with people not knowing Star Trek takes place in the future.
I find it hilarious that this film's target audience is the type of person that wouldn't be able to tell that Star Trek is set in the future .
Before you start looking down on the audience as intellectually deficient again (because that worked out so well for you in the other thread where you got owned) while missing the entire point of the quote, it should be noted that Lindelof was not saying that people can't recognize that the elements of the film are futuristic in nature (just as they are in Star Wars despite the ancient past setting), he's saying that more emphasis needs to be put on the fact that this represents our Earth and our Human future, as opposed to generic humans from a galaxy far far away or the Twelve Colonies of Kobol in SW and BSG. Hence using the touchstones of recognizable and relatable Earth cities as key settings and plot points in the film.

Now, I'm not the biggest fan of Lindelof's writing at times and I feel most people --even casual viewers who aren't regular fans-- can grasp that the crew of the Enterprise are from Earth's future, even if they only vaguely know about TOS or TNG, but if you're going to start complaining about his point, at least get what he's talking about right first. Especially if you're going to try and wedge it into an argument about how audiences are too dumb to grasp the concept of the film.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote