View Single Post
Old December 27 2012, 09:22 PM   #8
farmkid
Commodore

Re: Obesity linked to a gut bacteria

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
farmkid wrote: View Post
I saw this last night. It's very interesting and I'm curious to see how this pans out. I wonder, however, how this fits with the observation that gastric bypass surgery almost always cures Type II diabetes almost immediately (within a day or two) after surgery. Presumably the surgery wouldn't get rid of the bacteria, but perhaps the remodeling of the digestive tract changes the environment of the bacteria enough that it no longer has the same effect. I'll be interested to watch how this unfolds.
I have never heard that before. Do you have a good link? Sounds interesting.
I've heard about it from a few sources. A person I know who had the surgery was told that by her doctor and experienced it herself. It seems I've seen it mentioned a time or two in scientific journals, although I didn't pay much attention to it at the time so I can't give you any details other than that. It caught my attention more recently when Discover Magazine published an article about it. It's a good article for an interested layman. link
RAMA wrote: View Post
Or it could be because people eat too much, or the wrong foods and dont exercise..yeah that too.

RAMA
Well yes, that's been the conventional wisdom for quite some time. The experience of many people and recent research indicates it's not that simple. If you read the linked article you would see that in this case, diet and exercise had nothing to do with the weight gain/loss of the animals or the one guy who were part of the research.