View Single Post
Old December 27 2012, 06:07 PM   #77
Robert Maxwell
beep

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Scientist declares “Earth is F**ked" --Discuss?!

RAMA wrote: View Post
I don't find this surprising at all, I even like how he's modeling this...I'd agree Earth is fucked, all things remaining equal...Earth is not sustainable to vastly accelerating human beings. All things do not have to remain equal however. I am almost certain that vastly accelerating humans will have hard choices to make, a transition period from what we do now, to new ideas will be difficult, even tumultuous, but as of right this second we have choices. So let's not disappoint ourselves.

Capitalism is successful for our current state of development(in fact, stock markets are highly undervalued), but at some point, it will cease to be useful as our best economic model. I've seen speculations on what this new economy might be, but I have no idea exactly what will come to pass. Of course i have some preferences...or what i think are more likely:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-capitalism

Guess which?
That Wikipedia page is a mess, conflating political and economic systems all over the place and failing to distinguish what separates them from current forms of capitalism.

Also, no points for failing to mention technates, which I think become more of a possibility as energy grows more and more crucial and must be managed more effectively.