View Single Post
Old December 27 2012, 12:33 AM   #15
Andrew_Kearley
Captain

Re: Gerry Anderson has passed away

Such sad news. I don't think there are any sci-fi fans (certainly not in Britain) who weren't aware of Mr Anderson and the shows his team created. Colourful, innovative and visually impressive, pioneering in terms of effects and filming techniques - but in addition to all the impressive hardware and action adventure, the puppet shows were often whimsical, silly and delightfully bonkers, which gave them appeal across all age groups. Also produced two of the greatest adult sci-fi shows ever (certainly in my all-time top 5): "UFO" and "Space: 1999".

It is an impressive body of work that will stand as his lasting monument. I think it's fair to say that he was the most famous tv producer ever, in terms of being identified with his work. There are plenty of producers known for one or two great hits, but Gerry is unique in that his entire output is synonymous with his name. The "Gerry Anderson production" seems like a genre of its own. And that's a fantastic legacy.

RIP Gerry.

Doctor Who - The Complete Adventures
Andrew_Kearley is offline   Reply With Quote