View Single Post
Old December 24 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Deep Space 9 - "47"

Operations was a hive of activity, officers and crewmen moving between the consoles, checking readouts, handing over reports, or catching up on the latest gossip. It was something that Lieutenant Jill Myers had liked about the Cardassian station, since she’d joined the crew after Operation Return, the sense of community. People were interested in all of the goings on throughout the station, from the Starfleet crew to the Militia personnel to the civilians who lived onboard. It had taken her a couple of months to get the lay of the land, DS9 was unlike any other posting in the fleet, but once she got to know the people and understand how things were done, she’d quickly been able to carve out her own little niche.

Of course, with Lieutenant Commander Worf’s departure and her subsequent promotion to Tactical Officer, all that had changed. She was now no longer just ensuring orders were carried out and procedures followed, she was now the one who made the orders and decided on procedures. It was for her to get the station’s tactical department prepped and ready for whatever came at them next, so she was just thankful that things had been quiet, that way she could get things how she liked them before the next crisis hit.

Her sensor board chirped, drawing her eye from the latest diagnostic reports on the phaser emplacements. The display showed an Excelsior-Class ship entering their outer defence perimeter, though the readout on the ship identified it as the T’Plana-Hath. She quickly ran its prefix code against what was stored in their databanks and saw that they matched. Satisfied the station wasn’t under any immediate threat, she glanced back down at the ops table.

“Major, the T’Plana-Hath will be docking in five minutes.”

Agen Toh looked up at her. “Thank you, Lieutenant,” the temporary First Officer acknowledged. Agen was tall and broad, a physique of solid muscle that threatened to rip his red Militia uniform open at the seams with the slightest flex. His skin was almost onyx in colour which only made his brilliant smile stand out more whenever he flashed one—which was often. In the month he’d been onboard, Myers had come to like the Major, he was easy to talk to and had a thundering laugh that could rattle the deck plates.

“So I take it this means you’ll be leaving us soon.”

“It looks that way,” he admitted with a heavy sigh. “I’ve got a few days still, help the newbies get settle then I’m off to bigger and better things.”

“You mean there’s something better than this station?”

He chuckled. “I’ve been offered the XO billet on the Opaka.”

That made her pause. The Opaka was the first in a new class of ships Bajor had just commissioned, named for a former spiritual leader. It was the most advanced ship they had and had become their new flagship, so it was unsurprising that Agen was looking forward to his reassignment.

“Congratulations. You must be the envy of every other Major.”

“A few friends have taken the news badly, but I’m sure they’ll get over it. I mean there are another two ships due to be launched in the next six months.”

“Yes, but they won’t be the Opaka.”

He gave her a wide grin. “That is very true.”

“It looks like we’ll be having another leaving shindig before the week is out,” she declared, already making a mental note to reserve space at Quark’s.

“That’s appreciated but not necessary, I’ve hardly been onboard long enough to justify a party.”

“Nonsense! Besides, right now I think people don’t need much of a reason to blow off some steam. You have to think about others, it’s not all about you.”

Agen laughed, drawing a few looks from others in Ops. “That is quite true. I take it you’ll be organising this one.”

“Already drawing up the menu.”

“I’ll leave it in your capable hands then, Lieutenant,” he said with a wink, before returning to his console and co-ordinating the T’Plana-Hath’s docking.

Myers watched him for a moment longer then turned back to the display. Yes, she was going to miss Agen more than she would freely admit, but such was life. As brave and focused as she was in battle, when it came to admitting to someone she liked them, she was a bumbling fool—not the most graceful of decorum for DS9’s new Chief Tactical Officer.

Taking a deep breath, she focused once more on the phaser diagnostic.