View Single Post
Old December 24 2012, 12:26 AM   #71
Christopher
Writer

Re: The Twilight Zone being rebooted by Bryan Singer and CBS

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
What I said was that stylized writing is not a bad thing-- in fact, it's a good thing.
And I wasn't responding to that part of your post. I was chiming in to agree with your point that recreating Serling would be a mistake -- while questioning whether it would be a good idea to include his original opening narration. (The '80s version just gave us a brief glimpse of him in its titles.)

One is as you say, to utilize contemporary styles (e.g. bland color palette, shaky cam, Bendis-style dialogue) to make the concept relevant to a contemporary audience.
That is not what I said at all. I was talking about relevant issues, not stylistic aspects (and certainly not those stylistic aspects). Serling used TZ as metaphor to tackle then-current issues in a way he'd been unable to get past network censors in his prior work, issues like racism and the Vietnam War. A modern show could tackle contemporary issues like the rise of the surveillance state, the growing extremism on the political right, the dangers of climate-change denialism, etc. Stories that would say something about the world we live in and make people think.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote