View Single Post
Old December 23 2012, 07:27 PM   #873
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

RandyS wrote: View Post
cbspock wrote: View Post
The tracks for the Man Trap, man they are depressing and tedious to listen to. It is fun just listening to the cues and scenes they were used for just pop into your head.

-Chris
I don't know about depressing, but if by tedious, you mean repetitive, then yeah, I agree.
I agree that The Man Trap can be a difficult listen, but hearing it away from the episode really shows how Courage nailed it. The script was so-so, but the music played up the spookiness, eerie feelings and the sheer tragedy of the story. What was downplayed in the episode to a degree (the end of an intelligent species) is made to be incredibly sad by the music. There is hopelessness all over the score and while it's not a fun happy time at the CD player, it does effectively make the mood of the episode; heavy, scary, crushing. It's repetitive because that's what happens with a lot of TV scoring. The fact that it happens so seldom says a lot about the composers, but for the most part, a complete TV score is a study in patient listening.

The Man Trap is a solid, incredible score for what it accomplishes. I've always loved it, but now I truly appreciate it. Top marks.

Last edited by ssosmcin; December 23 2012 at 09:21 PM.
ssosmcin is offline   Reply With Quote