View Single Post
Old December 23 2012, 01:38 PM   #361
gturner
Admiral

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
gturner wrote: View Post
HoHoHoCutus wrote:
It's not my job to try and prove your point for you. You made a claim (that guns were completely banned in Russia), and I refuted it.
No, you didn't. I said they were banned about 90 years ago, and you refuted it with their current law. If I said the US banned alcohol 90 years ago, would you refute it by pointing to a modern beer commercial and say "See, no they didn't."
That is indeed when you said it began, but you also said that the ban lasted to the PRESENT DAY, and used it as an argument against banning guns in the PRESENT DAY because that allegedly leads to higher murder rates. Trying to limit it to a temporary measure undertaken in the days of Lenin and Stalin was just the way you moved the goalposts after I showed that your total gun ban in Russia today claim was bullshit. It's like you're completely unaware of the existence of a search function and think your lies will continue to go unnoticed.
A "temporary measure" that lasted, oh, about 70 years, until they collapsed. And the important weapons they banned, the pistols which are used in the vast majority of all gun murders, stayed completely banned, along with a five year waiting period to buy a rifle, of which only about 220,000 have entered circulation. That is about one gun of a type rarely used in gun homicides for every 600 people. Pretty much all of Western Europe has more rifles than that. England and Wales still have more licensed rifles in civilian hands than that, about twice as many, and that number has gone up about 50 percent since 2000.

So if Engand and Wales totally ban civilian gun ownership, as is often implied in this thread, yet they let five times as many people per capita have a rifle as Russia, indicating that Russia has a fifth the UK's rate of gun ownership, why would you be insisting that Russia has guns, and thus its high murder rate is a symptom of guns, while totally ignoring England's far more numerous guns?

By the way, also take note of the fluctuating murder rate between Russia and the US from one quote to the next. Sometimes it's twice as high, sometimes it's four times as high. You can't even keep your numbers straight from one post to the next. It's almost as if you're just making stuff up as you go along.
No, their murder rate doubled and fell back recently, not in sync with our own shifts. Which year do you want to use?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote