View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 11:47 PM   #1069
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Magus on a Star Trek wrote: View Post
^ The Joker knows the truth about Dent. Since the lie apparently works until Bane spills the beans eight years later, that means the Joker was silenced, or he played along with the lie.

I should probably buy Gregís book. Does it address these questions?
That or anything the Joker said or claimed was dismissed as being the ramblings of a lunatic.
That possibility occurred to me as well, and I dismissed it as inconsistent with character and story. Considering how manipulative and successful he the Joker is at everything else, itís inconceivable that he couldnít find a way to puncture the lie if he wanted to.

We can even use that to rationalize the decision to pin the killings on Batman. Knowing that the Joker can undo any lie they tell about the murders, the only lie that can succeed is a lie the Joker would like and not want to ruin.

Of course, we still have the question of how the lie is established in the first place.

I mean why NOT pin everything on him in order to preserve both the reputations of Dent and Batman? Shadier things are done and, really, in a round-about way the Joker was at fault. So pin it on him, detain him forever without a trial under the USA PATRIOT Act or something, toss him in Arkham and throw away the key.
He would have to be silenced, but tossing him in Arkham wouldnít do the trick. Key or no key, the Joker will eventually escape Arkham, or he isnít the Joker.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote