View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 10:00 PM   #852
gottacook
Commander

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

With respect to the emotionality of the music: It would be interesting to learn how people who'd never seen the original TV series might react to some of these cues heard in isolation.

George Duning in his two great season-3 scores for Empath and Is There composed some of the best music of the entire series on the basis of his response to the scripts as filmed; possibly he read earlier versions as well. And those scripts were just weird, even for Star Trek.* I have meditated about this for some 30 years. How was it that scripts that some people would call outright stinkers elicited such music?**

*An early version of the Is There script that I saw, during my afternoon at the USC library's George Duning Star Trek archive in July 1985, was even weirder; it included (in the opening transporter-room scene) a crewman with a phaser rifle being instructed by Kirk to shoot anyone who accidentally viewed the Medusan.

**There are some Empath-music-haters around, I know; they've been quiet lately. They wouldn't know poignant if it bit 'em in the ass.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote