View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 08:53 PM   #25
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: What does the new ___ look like? (SPOILERS)

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
I assume the new station is intended to be a tribute to the old one as well as a replacement for it. It's a memorial of sorts, but also a continuation rather than an unrelated construct, hence why they gave it the old name, I guess. So I'd assume that they're keeping some of the old design features in honour of the historic Terok Nor/Deep Space Nine that everyone's familiar with. Let the old station live on in spirit. Plus, for all that the first station was originally the seat of occupation, it was a massively important part of Bajor's history and a unique "landmark" for the Bajoran system. I suppose they'd want to be careful and not be seen as sweeping that history away by making the new DS9 "just another Federation mushroom".

Nowadays, pleasing the Cardassians might be just as important as pleasing the Bajorans. The Cardassian Union is the Federation's ally, and according to Akaar the Federation is taking that alliance very seriously. Maybe they want to incorporate a degree of Cardassian-inspired architecture into the new station rather than be seen as sweeping away the imprint of Cardassian identity?
That would make little sense from the Federation's perspective. Why would they build a station effectively honoring the Cardassians for a port in Bajoran space? The Bajorans put up with the station when it served their interests but it was always a reminder of the occupation. If the Federation were smart they would have put a Bajoran in charge of the design team.
DS9 was originally built with Bajoran slave labor, IIRC. The Bajorans might want the new station to be a tribute to the old one, as a memorial to all of those who died during the occupation.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote