View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 03:05 PM   #299
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
But imh subjective opinion the movie had already done a good job of making things personal by making the Dwarves quest to Erebor about more than retrieving their long forgotten gold but about finding a home and the longing to belong, by developing Thorin's distrust of elves, and by focusing the story upon Bilbo's personal development which is what the book is about.

Imho Azog doeasnt really make things any more personal than they already were as his entire conflict is with Thorin. Bilbo is the main character and the one most relatable to the audiance and his personal journey is the focus of the movie Thorins quest is necessary but secondary to the personal journey that Bilbo undertakes thus Thorins conflict with Azog that primarily remains with those two characters seems highly unnecessary.

But thats just my own subjective opinion :P
And it does make perfect sense.

I meant "making things personal" in a cinematic/theatrical sense, though, which is not necessarily the same as the literal sense. Depicting abstract emotions does not work that well in cinema or in stage productions. If you want characterization to work and motivations to matter, you have to anchor that into identifiable characters. "Finding a home" is a great real-life motivation, it also works very well in books, but in movies, nothing beats having two flesh-and-blood people interact and quarrel.