View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 10:19 AM   #294
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
No, I don't mean the coda, I mean the entirety of the Company/Orc conflict at the end. All there should have been the Orcs chasing the Company up the trees, the fire is started, and the eagles save the day. No drawn out sequence of Thorin deciding to face Azog (and completely ignoring the peril of kinsmen, no less!), and Biblo and some of the dwarves eventually deciding to back him up. I understand the the need for the thematic angle for the Bilbo/Thorin relationship and I would have had Bilbo done a simpler act of saving Thorin or one of the dwarves from a warg to show that Bilbo was winning to get his hands dirty for Thorin's Quest.
Aha, sorry, I understand now. I still don't agree, because though the sequence is arguably a bit long, it is the climax of the movie and it improves on what I think is a very poor and unsuspenseful scene in the book.

Merlanthe wrote: View Post
The second thing that annoyed me was that i didnt really see the point of having Azog as a recurring villain within the movie. They could have kept the flashback recounting of Thorins initial battle with Azog and finished with him dying from his wounds then had the goblin party that chases them toward rivendell be a random raiding party and kept the last part of being chased into trees by Wargs then set on fire then rescued by Eagles as it was in the book. Azog just seems a bit unnecassary as though they thought the movie needed a villain with a personal grudge gainst the Dwarves for it to work when it didnt.
What a movie "needs" is entirely subjective of course, but it seems obvious that making things personal creates higher emotional stakes than making them impersonal.