View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 04:32 AM   #71
Jolly Old Krampus
Vice Admiral

Re: Your Christmas Wish List

Now here's a topic that's related to this thread, and I would like to know how people feel about gift reciprocity.

In terms of gift-giving, I constantly tell myself that it's better to give than to receive, and I still very much believe this maxim. I also think that it's the thought that counts regardless of whatever gift one receives from others.

My issue, as I've mentioned in one of the previous threads, is when someone fails to acknowledge or thank me when I give them something. I don't necessarily expect anything in return, but when I do, I'm grateful to them and I make sure that I let them know that.

Of the 16 people in the office (co-workers/friends) I've given Christmas presents to this year, all but two said "thank you" in some way and/or reciprocated by giving me a present. To my surprise, those two people who didn't acknowledge happen to be in my "circle of work friends." How sad. I know this sounds petty, but I'm really soured by this experience (the lack of acknowledgment). Next year, I'm tempted to just not give these two people anything.

When you give holiday gifts, how do other people respond to you? Are they usually appreciative or happy? What say you?