View Single Post
Old December 22 2012, 02:05 AM   #291
Evil Headhunter
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Evil Headhunter Send a message via AIM to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Evil Headhunter Send a message via Yahoo to Evil Headhunter
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
I understand and agree with the thematic angle but I feel like it was very poorly executed. Like I said, the scene came on the heels of a long action sequence and barely had any time to recover. I know it's "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire" but I strongly feel that the sequence needed to be much shorter. Again, as I said, Bilbo could have still fulfilled the thematic need in a smaller way instead of the drawn out scenario that we got.
To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think that the little coda on the cliff at the end of the movie is longer than three minutes. What could have been cut to make it shorter?
No, I don't mean the coda, I mean the entirety of the Company/Orc conflict at the end. All there should have been the Orcs chasing the Company up the trees, the fire is started, and the eagles save the day. No drawn out sequence of Thorin deciding to face Azog (and completely ignoring the peril of kinsmen, no less!), and Biblo and some of the dwarves eventually deciding to back him up. I understand the the need for the thematic angle for the Bilbo/Thorin relationship and I would have had Bilbo done a simpler act of saving Thorin or one of the dwarves from a warg to show that Bilbo was winning to get his hands dirty for Thorin's Quest.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Evil Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote