Old December 21 2012, 10:48 PM   #10
JWolf
Commodore

Re: The Body Electric just hit iBooks

Tom Riker wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
Tom Riker wrote: View Post

...and go to prison
In the USA, stripping DRM for your own personal use is a grey area. There are exception(s) to the DMCA for stripping DRM from eBooks and then there is Fair Use. We do not know if Fair Use trumps the DMCA or not. So until it's ruled in a court of law that stripping DRM for personal use is illegal, it's going to remain a grey area. So please don't say it's illegal just like that when it's not yet decided. Besides, if I strip the DRM from an eBook for my own use, I'm doing nobody any harm.
The problem is you could buy an ebook, strip the drm and make a new copy and return the original for a full refund.
That is not a problem. When you return an eBook, you have to say why and usually it's checked before you get a refund. Besides, you can buy with DRM, load it on your reader and still try to return it. Once I have it, I have it, DRM or not. So that is a non-issue. OK, you're against stripping DRM. But DRM is against my rights to be able to do what I want (other than sharing on the net) with what I bought.