Old December 21 2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile
Re: Good Bollywood Space Opera?

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

1. It wouldn't be Bollywood if there were no songs.
2. They have started doing some sci-fi, but mostly Earth bound...either aliens, robots, or superheroes... to varying degrees of success.

In my experience sci-fi doesn't seem to be as a popular box office draw as it is in the US. So, I doubt they would do a space opera anytime soon.
Any good ones that have aliens?
GOOD? I don't know if I would go that far... cheesy, melodramatic, yes.

Koi... Mil Gaya, a sort of first encounter story and then its sequel Krrish. It's a super hero sci fi movie--better visually than the first. But I don't remember much of it.

Hrithik Roshan is the star of both. He is a really good dancer and actor... better dance than actor.

That's all that I can think of that have aliens. Like I said, sci fi is not popular in the way that it is in the west. It's just not a genre that has sparked excitement. Maybe the audience that wants it is small and western films are enough. Don't know. But, there is very very very little native sci fi.

Are you saying that its not as popular in INDIA? Because space based scifi seems pretty popular in East Asian countries like Japan and Korea. Its also relatively popular in China.

I think part of the interest is that the population has to be capable of envisioning itself "out there." To date, scifi has been most popular in countries that already have a presence in space or the ability/resources to do so.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote