View Single Post
Old December 21 2012, 06:24 AM   #280
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
I understand and agree with the thematic angle but I feel like it was very poorly executed. Like I said, the scene came on the heels of a long action sequence and barely had any time to recover. I know it's "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire" but I strongly feel that the sequence needed to be much shorter. Again, as I said, Bilbo could have still fulfilled the thematic need in a smaller way instead of the drawn out scenario that we got.
To be honest, I don't know what you're talking about. I don't think that the little coda on the cliff at the end of the movie is longer than three minutes. What could have been cut to make it shorter?

I have to completely agree on these two points, and while Tolkien deserves a lot of credit on this, Martin Freeman makes Bilbo all the greater.
And Peter Jackson as well. Casting Martin Freeman was a stroke of genius. Because although he has a lot of charisma and screen presence, perfect comic timing and is a very skilled physical actor, he doesn't have a lot or range so he mostly shines when he's a perfect match for the role.