View Single Post
Old December 21 2012, 05:45 AM   #276
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
2. The ending could have been much tighter. There was no need for worthless face-off between Thorin and Azog, other than to show Bilbo's worth in Thorin's eyes but I feel like there was no need for that yet. After the long action sequence underneath the Misty Mountains, the added drawn out action in the trees quickly becomes tiresome. It would have been far better for them to be chased up the trees, the fire gets started, everything looks dire, and then suddenly the eagles save the day. End the film with the same final closing scene (Bilbo can prove his worth in smaller way, I guess while up in the trees like knocking down a warg that would have otherwise gotten Thorin or another dwarf).
I couldn't disagree more. In my opinion, the scene you're talking about is the one that shows how much Bilbo has learned during the first part of his adventure. It ties up the themes of this movie and gives the viewer a sense of closure which was badly needed in order to turn this into a proper movie rather than the first segment of a three-part serial.

If I have to wait a full year for the second installment, I need to feel like I've had a satisfyingly complete experience, even though the whole story has not been told. The "oh yeah irrelevant stuff happens oh my god it's been three hours already let's end this" approach simply wouldn't have worked.
I understand and agree with the thematic angle but I feel like it was very poorly executed. Like I said, the scene came on the heels of a long action sequence and barely had any time to recover. I know it's "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire" but I strongly feel that the sequence needed to be much shorter. Again, as I said, Bilbo could have still fulfilled the thematic need in a smaller way instead of the drawn out scenario that we got.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The look and demeanor of Bilbo in this reminded me of James Wilson (Rover Sean Leonard) in "House."
Funny, because the look and demeanor of Bilbo in this reminded me of John Watson.

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I found Bilbo to be a much more interesting character than either Frodo or Sam in the LotR films.
The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
sidious618 wrote: View Post
I found Bilbo to be a much more interesting character than either Frodo or Sam in the LotR films.
I think it's fair to say that Bilbo is one of the best, most distinctive characters created by Tolkien.
I have to completely agree on these two points, and while Tolkien deserves a lot of credit on this, Martin Freeman makes Bilbo all the greater.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote