View Single Post
Old December 21 2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Getting into Star Trek, what should I watch!??

Nibbz wrote: View Post
Hey there, after going to The Hobbit in IMAX 3D and seeing the incredible Star Trek Into Darkness preview, I had to watch the 2009 film and was absolutely blown away. It's gotten me very interested in the Star Trek universe and television series', as well as the other films, and I'd like to begin watching as much as I can. However, there are a huge number of episodes in each series, and I would like to watch them all if I had the time which sadly I do not.

I was hoping someone could offer me an essential list of episodes from each season/series to watch, as I'm sure each series, and each respective season most likely has their filler episodes that aren't compeltely necessary to watch.

Thank you for your input.
Well, the good news is that the new movies are set in a whole new timeline with its own continuity, so you don't NEED to see any of the earlier series to understand the next movie. But if you want to see the roots of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, and the gang, you can't go wrong watching some episodes from the original series. Especially the first two seasons, which have most of the classic episodes. (The third season is uneven, to say the least!)

And, if various (conflicting) rumors about the new movie are true, the following may be of special interest.

"The Cage" --the original ST pilot--featuring Captain Pike, who also appears in the new movies.

"Where No Man Has Gone Before"--the second pilot, which introduced Captain Kirk. There are rumors the new movie may be partially inspired by this ep.

On the other hand, there are competing rumors that the new movie may have something to do with Khan, in which case you might want to check out:

"Space Seed"--featuring the origin of Khan
THE WRATH OF KHAN, the movie about Khan's revenge.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, of course, and doesn't even touch on the later series like Next Generation, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise.