View Single Post
Old December 20 2012, 07:37 PM   #258
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

NightmareB4Holmes wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
^^All very nice stats, but both the UK and Australia while having a higher crime rate, have a lower murder rate per capita than the US.

So using those stats (as well as others that have been posted) despite the UK with 4 times the violent crime rate than the US, you are around 4 times less likely to be murdered.

So which would people rather have, a higher chance of being a victim of a crime, or a higher chance of being murdered?

And no you can't answer neither, which we would of course all want.

And of course, you have to ask are crime figures recorded differently now, are people more willing to report crime now etc...
Us gun murder rates are skewed by the war on drugs and the resulting violence associated with it. If you legalized all drugs, regulated and taxed them just like tobacco and alcohol, and treated addiction as an illness and not a crime, you would drastically cut down the numbers of gun related crime.
That's swell; and in addition to comprehensive gun control laws --which you and your Daily Fail statistics ironically argued in favor of by pointing out that the UK has a higher rate of survivable violent crime than the US, where the homicide rate is nearly four times as high because of the prevalence of guns-- that should really have a significant impact on reducing the murder rate in this country. It's great when we all can agree like this.

I'd suggest we all go have a pint together, but not in the ghastly post-apocalyptic wasteland that is the UK, because you're ten times as likely to get pelted with water balloons and twelve times as likely to be given a purple nurple there than you are in the much less violent US. And really, higher homicide rates be damned, because who'd want to even go on living after suffering either of those things?
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote