View Single Post
Old December 20 2012, 06:39 PM   #254
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

SantaEddie74 wrote: View Post
I don't think rates matter as much as the actual lives lost. Parents, children, family and friends don't mourn numbers and statistics. They mourn actual lives that have been cut short.

Data and other likeminded apologists can post all they want about this nation or that country having a greater overall per capita crime rate, but even if all of the numbers were reliable and weren't manipulated or skewed it doesn't get in the way of the raw numbers of human lives lost to gun murder in America.

11,000 versus just 35 or 100? Yeah, forgive me for not giving two flying farts about the "rate." Cleverly used statistics are used in attempts to lessen the impact of and make apologies for a lot of bad things in this world so we'll stop thinking they're significant enough problems to actually do something about.
You are talking about emotion. Laws should be devoid of emotion, and not passed because of it. Emotion is both irrational and illogical. To attempt to run a nation on it is a first class ticket to failure.