View Single Post
Old December 20 2012, 02:53 PM   #1727
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Seven of Five wrote: View Post
It was a good move to develop the Trill that way, (whom I find interesting, so to you TGB!)
I suppose if you like humans then you'll like the Trill, because we're virtually identical, except for the spots.

Star Grinch wrote: View Post
Unlike Jesus, the Sisko made good on his Second Coming.
In fairness, he has only been gone for 2,000 years or so, and Earth still has 5 billion years left on the clock. Have some patience.

Take Me Out to the Holosuite (**)

Everything I know about baseball, I learned from playing Wii Sports. So what I mostly know is that tennis is more fun... and golf... and bowling, and boxing. Essentially, baseball is the most boring to play of all the Wii Sports. It's also the most boring to watch. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't like baseball. I don't really like watching any sports, but baseball would be near the bottom of the list of sports I would watch if I cared enough to make such a list. So an episode about baseball isn't something I expected nor wanted from Deep Space Nine. But a baseball episode is what I've got... and it's okay.

In many ways, this episode suffers from the same over-indulgence problems as His Way. The writers clearly wanted to do a baseball episode even though they write for a show set on a space station in the 24th century, so they concocted some outlandish reason to do a baseball episode. It's not as big a problem as His Way because the characters at least acknowledge that this whole situation is a bit stupid, and this episode is pure fluff that doesn't impose itself on any character arcs. It's also one of DS9's few ensemble episodes, particularly in the latter seasons. DS9 episodes typically break the characters off into small groups, which is a by-product of having a large extended cast. It's not often that we get to see the whole crew working together, and having fun no less, so that works in this episode's favour.

Then there's the Vulcans. I know some people don't like the way the Vulcans act in this episode, but it's yet another thing that doesn't really bother me. Vulcans have always had a rather smug, superior attitude, even Spock, so I don't have an issue with the fact that some Vulcans would take that attitude too far. Honestly, I look down on some of the "unenlightened" cultures on our world, the ones that repress women, homosexuals and others. Some Vulcans are going to feel the same way about us "unenlightened", emotional species. At the end of the day, the Vulcans are probably right, they're probably smarter than humans and superior to us in countless ways. But we take more joy from life, so aren't we the real winners in the end? No, but we'll continue to tell ourselves that to make us feel better.

Form of... an umpire: 34