View Single Post
Old December 20 2012, 11:15 AM   #248
Starkers
Admiral

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

The scariest thing about those assault figures is how much Scotland skews them!

Anyway some other random statistics...

"Crimes recorded by the police in England and Wales fell by 6.1% between the years ending June 2011 and June 2012, according to the latest crime statistics.
9.1m crimes were reported in 2011/12, down from 9.7m the previous year, and 27.2% lower than ten years ago."

Stats are only as good as the information that's recorded though, and what's actually counted and how it's counted.

Take the hyperbole that Australian women are raped over three times as often as American women. That isn't necessarily what the figures say now, is it. Now it could be true, or it could be the case that Australian women are three times more likely to report being raped? Or maybe that what's classed as rape by the police in Australia differs from what's classed as rape by the police in the US? After all if we just went with the statistics Sweden's the European country where a woman is most like to be raped but that doesn't really tell the whole story.

Love the fact that Australia and Canada are kidnap capitals of the world!

Also...did you know 38% of recorded gun crime in Scotland relates to air rifles?

Anyway I think we can all agree that the facts show you're more likely to be punched in Britain, but shot in America. I know where I'd rather live...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote