View Single Post
Old December 20 2012, 03:22 AM   #38
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Is Zom-poc/post-apoc the genre for misanthropes?

stj wrote: View Post
Otherwise it's awfully hard to understand how so many people can agree that zombies demand less willing suspension of disbelief. Dead people walking are less likely than closed timelike curves in General Relativity, and it is silly to pretend otherwise.
I don't know offhand if anyone said that. All I said was:
Kegg wrote: View Post
Suspension of disbelief is required but the characters are much closer to us than they would be in many other SF&F settings.
And thus:

Perhaps what they really mean is familiar?
That is precisely what I mean. Zombie apocalypses generally take the familiar world and add zombies.

The asides about stormtroopers or Firefly's neoConfederate sympathies don't help those offended by the OP, I'm afraid.
They're absolutely relevant, as they're examples of arguably problematic stuff in media. It's a distinction between the kind of argument Ian Keldon could make that makes sense - as yours, here, that Firefly has issues with its Lost Cause heritage - and the stance he's taken.

Liking Firefly is not the same thing as believing in Dunning School history and ascribing to a Neo-Confederate world view. Dressing up as a Stormtrooper is not the same thing as dressing up as a Nazi.

There's nothing "shorn" about Firefly, the objectionableness is not just there, it is blatantly there, as one of the coolest moments.
It is largely shorn. On the positive side, Firefly lacks the overt racism of Lost Cause mythology and has an ambivalent attitude about religion (compared to the theocractic leanings of much neo-Confederate thought). On the negative side, it is a mythology divorced from context - there are no slaves for the Alliance to liberate, allowing them to solely be greedy and corrupt centralists.

What I'm saying is, rather tritely, is that Firefly is not Birth of Nation.