View Single Post
Old December 19 2012, 06:37 PM   #237
Robert Maxwell
Knives Out, 24/7/365

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Elfin Mischievous Humbug wrote: View Post
The problem lies also lies with how Peter Jackson depicts the Eagles' rescues in both the trilogy and The Hobbit. In the trilogy, Gwaihir rescues Gandalf from Orthanc because he happens to passing by the area, not because he was summoned by Gandalf. Additionally, in The Hobbit, the eagles only happened to be in the area and decided to help out, and again, they were not summoned by Gandalf. In each case, there's a certain reluctance on their part to help out and only helped out in a limited manner and out of favor to Radagast, neither of which is clear in Fellowship of the Ring or An Unexpected Journey.
True, although there's already so much that happens by coincidence in the story that he made the right call, in my opinion. "The Hobbit" is very much a "and then random stuff happened, and our heroes were rescued by a very deus ex machina Gandalf" kind of book.
If one had to rationalize Gandalf constantly saving the Dwarves, it might be that he personally wanted to see Smaug "dealt with," but wanted the plausible deniability of not having done the deed himself, since Saruman might not have been okay with that. The Dwarves wanting to retake Erebor anyway gave him a convenient pretext, but they were obviously not equipped to accomplish their mission entirely on their own, so Gandalf had to keep saving their bacon, one way or another.

This might make Gandalf seem like a manipulative jerk, but I'm not so sure he isn't.