View Single Post
Old December 19 2012, 05:12 PM   #1723
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

Worf'sParmach wrote: View Post
Count me as one of the people who did not like "Space Jesus Sisko" (). It was, and still is, very WTF to me. I think it's more profound that Siskos chooses to be "of Bajor" vs. it all being some diving destiney BS.
Ah, but it is only because Sisko chose to be "of Bajor" that the Prophets created him to be so. That's the thing about the Prophets, they're not linear.

The Prophets orchestrating Sisko's birth just doesn't bother me too much. I don't think it adds anything to the show, but I also don't think it takes anything away, it's just another element of the weirdness that is a non-linear species. I can see where you're coming from, but I just don't feel it.

Afterimage (***)

So I guess this is where we discuss Ezri Dax. I liked Jadzia, I like Ezri, they bring different qualities to the show. In a way, Ezri completes Jadzia. In all honesty, the Trill are a boring species, they're pretty much just humans with one unique trait, the ability to sort of live on after death. When the show started, Jadzia was already joined so we didn't really get to see that transition, and there just wasn't enough to the concept to sustain the character so they had to find a way to define Jadzia outside of being a joined Trill. That was fine, but it meant that this interesting concept was relegated to a small handful of episodes. But by dying and being reborn in Ezri, we not only get to see the promise of the Trill being fulfilled, we get a new angle to look at Jadzia. It's a pity that this happens in the final season and thus takes away screen-time from the other characters, but I'm still glad that the show had a chance to address these issues before it ended.

Afterimage is the necessary step on the road the show chose to go down, they needed to address Ezri's identity issues and her decision to remain on the station. The result is a predictable hour, but not an unwelcome one. Ezri is confused, Jadzia's friends are confused, Worf is confused and angry, and Sisko is possessive and overbearing. The plot is fine, although Ezri's decision to leave Starfleet and subsequent decision to remain was an unnecessary complication that cheapened the really complicated stuff she was going though. The key scenes in this episode are really about Worf and the pain he is going through just from Ezri's presence. In the end, he chose to let Ezri stay, ostensibly because he thinks that's what Jadzia would want, but really it's because he knows he's got a shot at hitting that on a deserted planet if he plays his cards right.

The real star of the show is Garak, which is true of most episodes he's in. It's good that the show isn't just glossing over Garak's plight, just because he's doing the right thing doesn't mean that it's easy for him. His work is killing thousands of Cardassians, his own kind that think they are serving Cardassia, and that can't be easy for a member of such a patriotic species. The scene where he chews out Ezri is masterful because he's not wrong, he said exactly what many in the audience were thinking, he just saw no reason to be diplomatic about it. Once again, the ending is a tad too tidy, but I guess it frees up to show to return to import stories such as... a baseball game.