View Single Post
Old December 19 2012, 04:23 PM   #34
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: Is Zom-poc/post-apoc the genre for misanthropes?

To add to what Locutus said:

Really, Ian Keldon, the issue is your target. If you want to say that for example the Walking Dead has a misanthropic worldview as a work of fiction, or feel that Star Wars lets the Empire off too easy for its genocide (Vader's redemption seems increasingly pat to me personally as I age), those are fair arguments as they're analyzing themes, however troubling, in the work in question.

Or if you want to say that it bothers you there are people who think the Empire Was Right (because the threat of Yuuzhan Vong justifies the maniacal slaughter of the Palpatine years) or that there are some zombie apocalypse fans whose fantasies about the end of the world are unseemly, then that's possibly a case you could make... all the while acknowledging that, you know, defending Emperor Palpatine isn't even remotely like being a neo-Nazi or a holocaust denier because those things refer to real events.

I mean I like poking at the Lost Cause mythology in Firefly, but that doesn't mean I think Firefly's fans are a bunch of neo-Confederates (or that the sreies is doing much more than appropriating the idea of the Lost Cause, shorn of most of its problematic elements).

You just chose the shakiest, most impractical and illogical ground to make a stand on.