View Single Post
Old December 18 2012, 07:51 PM   #1278
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I think that's the second time this year this thread has had a first time IJ:KOCS review with similar thoughts.
I should be clear here; I saw the film theatrically and mostly liked it then, too. But, after years of reading complaints on the internet, and without the benefit of the spectacle of the big screen, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it nearly as much. But in the end, I did.

196. The Hobbit (A-)
197. Galaxy Quest (A+)

The Hobbit: Mostly enjoyed it. On one hand, it's not as tightly structured as the LOTR movies. On the other, nearly every criticism I've read about it could be applied to Jackson's earlier trilogy (particularly, the extended versions). A part of me is slightly disappointed that we won't have the choice of a disciplined edit and an everything-and-the-kitchen sink edit like we did with LOTR, but that's the commercial reality of making a relatively short children's novel into a nine-hour, three part epic.

Galaxy Quest: I only find this film funnier and better made each time I see it. It's a pitch-perfect parody of Star Trek, and a terrific, pulpy space opera yarn, too.

Theatres: 61+1
Home Video: 121+1
Computer: 13

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote