View Single Post
Old December 18 2012, 06:17 PM   #1720
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

flemm wrote: View Post
Seven of Five wrote: View Post
Very good summation of the season anyway. When I was younger, I used to think season six was my favourite of all, purely because of the Occupation Arc, and In the Pale Moonlight. Of course, being older, a bit more jaded, and of having seen the episodes a thousand times, you realise that it's not all rosy.
It's true. At one point, I tended to think of seasons 4-7 as one long stretch of roughly equal awesomeness.

I guess that's partly a question of re-watch value. A lot of the mediocre season 6 episodes just don't hold up or contain much of anything that's worth going back to.
I used to think the same way, and I think selective memory was at work. At the time, I thought that the occupation arc had lasted half the season, or at least ten episodes. But nope, it was 6 episodes, barely a fifth of the season. It still surprises me sometimes how little there is to that arc, yet it colours our judgement of the whole show.

Shadows and Symbols (***)

Picking up from where the previous episode left off, Ezri Dax shows up. She doesn't do much. She follows the three Sisko's to some desert world where the Prophets left an orb buried slightly under the surface for some unexplained reason. In all honesty, this plot is kinda stupid. I don't have a huge problem with the Space Jesus Sisko stuff as some people do, but I don't understand why the Prophets sent their most important orb to some random desert world nobody has ever heard of, or why they needed Sisko to open a box. They're magical beings that transcend time and space, and you're telling me that one of them got trapped inside a box? Also, this Sarah Prophet is a bloody good fighter, the Prophets were deadlocked by a single Pah-wraith until she showed and she kicked him out in an instant. In all honesty, the Prophet's plan wasn't very good, they trapped their most powerful Prophet in a magical box on a deserted world, which they planned to be opened by a guy suffering from serious psychological issues.

Ah hell, there's no point in trying to analyse any of this, it's just a collection of magical happenings that did whatever the writers needed to happen. Sisko's divine destiny could have been to kick Bishop Brennan up the arse to release the Prophet trapped in his colon and it would have had the same end results.

Meanwhile, Kira has the brilliant plan to take on one of the most powerful military forces in the galaxy with a flotilla of tug boats. Don't worry, it's just a game of brinkmanship, a point which is emphasised again and again by the episode, and then a few more times so that even the mentally impaired know what's going on. It's not a bad story, it's just a little repetitive, but it has a decent ending in that Admiral Ross is the one that folds and not the Romulans. As a side note, Derna orbits absurdly close to Bajor, but it's only Bajor's fourth moon, so presumably there's three other moons that orbit even closer! Good lord, imagine the tides when those moons align.

Meanwhile meanwhile, Worf and co head out on a dangerous mission to blow up a sun with a tractor-beam, or something. Bloody useful devices, those tractor-beams. Worf's not happy about this because Worf is never happy, and he snaps at his friends because he's still in mourning over Jadzia. In the end, he realises that he's being a dick and apologises, and everyone works as a team (except Quark, who is just sort of there) to achieve a great victory and ensure Jadzia's place in Klingon heaven. Now Worf is through with mourning and can finally move on with his life, Jadzia firmly behind him. Oh, except for the fact that his dead wife has returned in a new body and nobody thought to warn him before she showed up. Ouch.