View Single Post
Old December 18 2012, 12:17 PM   #1738
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I just finished watching the entire set and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved revisiting this series and it is much stronger than I rememberd. The latter part had some brilliant character moments.

To me it seems that near the end of the season HTV seemed to be getting the hang of the remastering job. Episodes like The Emissary, Peak Performance and Shades of Grey looked fabulous. Less DNR-ing of effects scenes, better detail on the effects work, better planets and very faithful to the original work.

I think there could be a number of explanations for this. One, CBS had the advantage of figuring out and perfecting the remastering process when they prepared the sampler disc. When they started work on season 1 they had the experience of working on those three episodes behind them, which HTV obviously didn't. The people at HTV had to perfect the process as they were working on the season, hence the mixed results in the earlier half and the improvement near the end.
Two, CBS had some words with the people at HTV illuminate after they'd seen their work and told them to put their backs into it. Perhaps some people at CBS-D even supervised some of the work or at least advized them on how to improve the material and get it more in line with the work done on season 1.

Did anyone notice the improvement as the season neared its end and what are your thoughts on this?