View Single Post
Old December 18 2012, 10:15 AM   #207
Starkers
Admiral

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

Apologies for reposting this from the man shoots girlfriend after watching Walking Dead thread but it seems appropirate. When people start talking crime rates going up relative to the ban on guns in the UK I find it a bit spurious really given that the banning of guns in the UK is unlikely to have had much of an impact on crime rates. We weren’t like the Wild West beforehand, it isn’t like every granny had a Saturday night special in her handbag and every homeowner had an M-16 under the bed, and for the majority of the population the post Dunblane legislation would have had very little impact on their daily lives.

I could quote stats from this year that shows crime rates in the UK continuing to fall as they have since ’95 (though any stats are open to interpretation, on the one hand there’s the question of whether people are reporting all crimes, but on the other it’s worth noting that something daft like 38% of reported gun crime in Scotland relates to air rifles!)

Still this is interesting

Overall, Branas's study found that people who carried guns were 4.5 times as likely to be shot and 4.2 times as likely to get killed compared with unarmed citizens. When the team looked at shootings in which victims had a chance to defend themselves, their odds of getting shot were even higher.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...nd-killed.html

This dovetails neatly with the view in the UK that carrying a knife makes you more likely to be stabbed.

This isn't gonna change your views, any more than your arguments will change mine. All I know is that I live in the UK and have never felt unsafe because I didn't have a gun. I haven't grown up around guns so I have a hard time understanding the viewpoint of many Americans regarding guns, in the same way I imagine many Americans wouldn't understand my viewpoint.

Oh yeah, and I live in Nottingham which, if it's to be believed, is the gun crime capital of the UK (or at least was portrayed as such a few years ago)