View Single Post
Old December 18 2012, 05:55 AM   #204
Vice Admiral
Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Grading & Discussion (Spoilers

^ Yes, and I loved every second of it!

"These are [can't remember] Rabbits! I'd like to see them try."

Radagast in general was a very fun character, I hope we see more of him in the next two.

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Physically, they have some similarities. As characters, they couldn't be more different.

Agreed. It's like saying a trash can and R2D2 are identical characters. Seriously, once you get beyond the basic shape, how are Dobby and Gollum the least bit similar?
Yeah, this is one of the more bizarre comparisons I've seen on here.

Overall, I really really enjoyed The Hobbit. I can understand most of the reasonable criticisms of it - slow start, cartoony and overlong action, somewhat bloated - but none of those bothered me a lot personally. The only real critique I have is that they didn't need to bother with Frodo and Old Bilbo to set things up. Everything else with Freeman and the dwarves in Bag End was good though. Overall I tend to like longer films that have more space to breathe though as a matter of taste.

I saw it in 48 FPS non-IMAX, and felt really immersed in everything. It took several minutes for me to adjust, but by the end of the prologue I didn't even notice the slightly-quick motions except for the occasional shot. And everything was so detailed and so beautiful.

Favorite scene - other than Riddles in the Dark which is without a debt the best scene in the movie, Freeman and Serkis were completely brilliant - was probably the White Council. As much as I'm enjoying the main plot of Bilbo and the Dwarves going after Smaug, seeing Gandalf with Galadriel, Elrond, and Good (if arrogant) Saruman had me grinning like an idiot.
Luna: "They're quite gentle, really... But people avoid them because they're a bit..."
Harry: "Different.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote