View Single Post
Old December 18 2012, 02:44 AM   #1273
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

142. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (B+)

There's a discussion thread for this, but in brief, it's more of the same. Good stuff, but it lacks (though not for lack of trying) the spark of the unfamiliar, and the story doesn't inflate to epic scale the same way the original movies did.

Cinema: 50 (+1)
Home Video: 79
Computer: 13
Harvey wrote: View Post
Quite curious what you think about this when you have a chance to digest it. Most of the reviews have been positive, but many of these simultaneously describe the movie as a "mess."
There are some indications that the whole thing is meant to be some kind of metaphor for contemporary cinema/acting, or something, but on the whole it's pretty clearly intentionally not making sense or explaining anything that's going on. One could argue it deserves an A for originality, and an F for being self-indulgent nonsense. It's a textbook example of a fill with little middle ground.

I still really don't know what I think about it, but I'd lean more toward the negative crowd; at a certain point, the knowledge that the weirdness isn't going to amount to anything (at least, as far as I can see) takes any enjoyment out of it.
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote