View Single Post
Old December 17 2012, 07:37 PM   #169
gturner
Admiral

Re: MASSIVE Elementary School Shooting in CT *12-24 Maybe be dead

MacLeod wrote: View Post
And no one is arguing that nations have their own problems.

But out of those violent crimes how many ended in murder?

The stats for homicide are something like US 4.2 /100 000, UK 1.2 / 100 000, Or almost 4 times higher.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

So even with a higher violent crime rate, fewer people are murdered.

Conclusion whilst less restrictive gun laws might lead to a lower violent crime rate they lead to a higher murder rate.
Wrong conclusion. Look at your list again and note that there are over one hundred counties with a higher homicide rate than the US, and I doubt any of them has more guns than we do. Almost all of the Western hemisphere outside Canada, including Cuba and Greenland, has a higher homicide rate than the US. The US white murder rate is about the same as Canada.

Meanwhile this blog post was interesting.

This problem is too big for me to handle on my own. Sometimes there are no good options. So you just pray for grace and trust that in hindsight, it will all make sense.

I am sharing this story because I am Adam Lanza’s mother. I am Dylan Klebold’s and Eric Harris’s mother. I am James Holmes’s mother. I am Jared Loughner’s mother. I am Seung-Hui Cho’s mother. And these boys—and their mothers—need help. In the wake of another horrific national tragedy, it’s easy to talk about guns. But it’s time to talk about mental illness.
What do you do when your genius son is a violent ball of plotting, seething, homicidal rage?
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote