View Single Post
Old December 17 2012, 07:06 PM   #15
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Is Zom-poc/post-apoc the genre for misanthropes?

Kegg wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
It's just fantasy. It's a way to take characters out of a typical contemporary setting without stretching one's suspension of disbelief as much as, say, a space opera or high fantasy.
Quite.

The thing about a zombie apocalypse in particular is it's very low on the fantasy spectrum. It's not alien races and new worlds or elves and dragons, it's the world we know having collapsed on itself. Suspension of disbelief is required but the characters are much closer to us than they would be in many other SF&F settings. I think that's an enormous part of the appeal.

Yeah, they're not the original hunter gatherers, even if fate requires them to live not much better than those. But neither are we.
Exactly. It's much more relatable. "That could be me, out of my depth, trying to fend off zombies!"

I do think the OP is taking his premise a bit too far, in thinking that enjoying a particular kind of fiction means you'd actually like to see it come to fruition. As a counterexample, a lot of people enjoy high fantasy, with kings, magic, dragons, powerful guilds, and all that jazz. Does that mean people who enjoy it really do support monarchy and mysticism, and wish giant lizards would rain fire upon us all? Of course not.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote