View Single Post
Old December 17 2012, 03:38 AM   #11
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Is Zom-poc/post-apoc the genre for misanthropes?

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
I'm not saying that it "validates" misanthropy. I'm just reporting that I see what appears to be a correlation between a love of Poc fiction and a general shall we say "jaundiced" view of civilization.
Yeah, but you're coming at it from an extremely closed-minded and two-valued perspective. To you, it has to be either one thing or the other, without any room for compromise, and that's disingenuous and hardly fair to assume.

I'm honestly not saying that to be insulting; its just been my experience thus far that you make up your mind about something and then can't be swayed no matter how reasonable, plausible or just obvious the evidence/argument may be.

I myself was completely nonplussed by the idea of The Walking Dead until this past summer when I finally sat down to watch it; it's now one of my favorite shows. Not because it's about zombies (which I don't really care for, to be honest) or because its a post-apocalypse show, but because of the characters themselves and how they handle their predicament each week. Rick, Carl, Daryl, Merle, Michonne and Andrea are endlessly interesting to me in therms of what drives them while people like Shane, the Governor, Dale, Lori et al each have their own agendas or motivations and whether or not they coincide with everyone's primary goal - survival - is fun to watch.

I do not believe at all zombie fiction or "end of the world" stories are indicative or a leaning toward misanthropy at all. As we have seen it (this subgenre) is not for everyone, and that's ok. If you don't like it, that's not a bad thing nor does it mean that I'm a misanthrope because I enjoy it.