View Single Post
Old December 16 2012, 04:53 AM   #222
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

Longinus wrote: View Post
Do you believe that Agni exists?
Agni isn't part of my faith, however that doesn't translate into "non-existence" for those people for whom Agni is part of their faith.

If you don't then you think that your Hindu friends hold a belief that is not true.
So, you're saying that if I don't believe in your beliefs Longinus, your beliefs then become "untrue?" How does that work? Certainly they would continue to be true for you, despite my (or others) disbelief in them.

It is not even disrespectful for you to say that in a relevant context.
My not embracing her beliefs (which she is of course aware of) is in no way disrespectful to her beliefs, or of her beliefs. Her adherence to her families religious heritage has alway been one of the things I admire about her.

Remember, Hinduism exist in the Star Trek universe. The Hindu faith exists in the 22nd century (Cold Front), there is a Hindu navigator aboard the Enterprise in the 23rd century (That Which Survives), and there is a celebration of Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights, in the 24th century aboard the Enterprise D (Data's day).

In the three episode just noted, I don't remember any specific mentions of future atheists. Maybe TPTB forgot.

Do you accept that a reality exists ...
I accept that the physical corporeal world is only a portion of the totality of reality.

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
Should Picard respect the Mintakans' blatantly mistaken belief that he is a god?
And by "the Mintakans" you mean a single individual within their society?
So how many people have to hold a belief before it becomes a religion warranting special protection and respect?
I was question your use of the term "the Mintakans," seemingly to indicate the entire species in general, when the story made clear only a single individual believed Picard to be a "god."

Merry Christmas is online now   Reply With Quote