View Single Post
Old December 16 2012, 12:04 AM   #53
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Rush to be Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
But Warwick is someone my parents listened to back in the Sixties, so I have to draw the line at her being a "Rock and Roller".
Your parents probably also listened to the Stones, Beatles, too. Does that eliminate those bands from being considered "rock and roll", also?

Ar-Festivus wrote: View Post
Wasn't Dionne Warwick what we now call R&B? It was called the Motown sound back then, or maybe the Philadelphia sound.
Dionne Warwick wasn't an R&B singer in the 60's, nor would she be considered R&B today. Her singing style never included showy "runs" or hyperbolic emotional embellishments. If she had been white, her recordings would never have been played on black radio stations back then. Her sound had nothing to do with the Motown or Philly sounds.

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
It's self-evident that the Hall's definition includes country, R&B, pop, soul, funk, hip-hop, reggae, punk, dance and other genres.
This is true. But by calling it the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame, many people who aren't really familiar with the history of the music, at least prior to the 1970's, think the title of the Hall should automatically exclude artists who they don't think played what they would likely call a "pure" form of the music.

And you can be sure that if it was called the Popular Music HOF, many would say that their particular Rock God didn't belong in it becaues, of course, he/she played rock and roll, baby.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote