View Single Post
Old December 15 2012, 04:37 AM   #1263
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

140. The Perks of Being a Wallflower (A-)

Based on a highly popular 1999 novel, which I'd never heard of despite being in junior high at the time (I guess I missed it). One could never dispute that this film represents the distinct authorial vision of Stephen Chbosky, who wrote the novel, and then wrote the screenplay adaptation, and makes his directorial debut. This is generally held to have been a botched job by the distributor, but the movie has acquired a fervent critical following (even winning a number of awards so far this season) -- perhaps it will be remembered as one of the Great Teen Movies.

This is more teen drama than comedy; really, it's been a while since there was a really notable entry in that cinema genre (let alone one that features child molestation). The central trio are Logan Lerman, Ezra Miller, and Emma Watson (affecting an American accent, reasonably capably, and effectively separating herself from Hermione), all of them terrific. Also present are Mae Whitman, and a bevy of adult actors who are largely underused (Dylan McDermott, Kate Walsh, Paul Rudd; Joan Cusack has a cameo). I had a remarkably ordinary high school experience, so the tropes of most high school movies rarely reflect my own experience, but there are some very familiar bits here (like sitting on the sidelines at a school dance, though I wasn't pining after Emma Watson while doing so; blessing or curse?).

Cinema: 48 (+1)
Home Video: 79
Computer: 13

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote