View Single Post
Old December 15 2012, 01:25 AM   #107
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
My problem was more with Chris Evans's race. I'm not opposed in principle to the idea of Sue Storm being Hispanic, but if so, shouldn't Johnny have been Hispanic too?
"Sue Storm" wasn't Hispanic, the actor playing her was.
I liked the first FF movie more than I liked Batman Begins. I thought it was closer to being what it should have been than BB was.
At least BB was about its protagonist actually becoming a hero. The FF didn't really do anything heroic in their first movie. They were mainly just dealing with their own personal issues, and endangering other people in the process. Okay, when they inadvertently caused the disaster on the bridge, they did manage to save the lives they'd endangered, but it doesn't really count as heroism when you're responsible for the problem in the first place. Then the rest of the movie was about them defending themselves from Doom, who never seemed to have any specific malevolent agenda against anyone but the FF themselves. They weren't trying to stop him from taking over the world or destroying a city, just trying to stop him from killing the four of them. And in order to do so, they had Johnny risk igniting the atmosphere and killing everyone on the planet. So, to sum up, the FF risked the destruction of all life on Earth in service to their own self-interest. That means the FF were actually the villains of their own movie.
The movie had it's flaws, without question. But what I liked about it was how the relationships between the characters were written and performed. It was very true to the comic book. And BTW, the logical leap with respect to the "risks' taken by the FF in the movie (and I agree, it shouldn't have required a "leap") was that if Doom defeated the FF, his next step would be world domination. So the risk to the population was justified.

BB should have been a much better movie than it was but it was saddled with the most forgettable villain ever, and an uncharismatic performance of the lead character by Bale. I have never been able to get through the movie without nodding off. All a matter of opinion, of course.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote