Thread: Robotech
View Single Post
Old December 15 2012, 12:02 AM   #9
Fleet Captain
Re: Robotech

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I'm actually going through Macross 7 right now, for the third time since watching it with the anime club back in the 90s. I understand that it's a love-hate sorta thing with its fans. Personally, if you can get through the first 12 episodes or so (which even I think aren't good), it picks up in tone and overall quality. Some like it, some don't. It was reasonably successful in Japan. Being a general Macross junkie, I can't deny its place in the Macross canon and enjoy it as light, cheesy entertainment. The Macross 7 movie and Macross Dynamite 7 OVA series that follow it are in the same vein, but with much better animation; I quite liked 'em too.
It really is a love it/hate it thing in fandom. But, like you, I still accept it because I love all things Macross, even the mildly retarded series like this one. I think my biggest problem with it is that Basara is such a ridiculously unlikeable character. That and it was really repetitive, even after episode 12. Again, critical me considers it trash, but Macross fanboy me still kinda loves the VF-17 design and loves seeing Max and Milia again, etc, etc...

Nice to see I wasn't the only one waiting on VHS trades of the Central Park Media subs back in the mid-90s - lol. Is it weird that I kind of miss those days?

Give plenty of credit to Carl Macek and those who stitched together three unrelated stories into a reasonably decent saga. They did better than Voltron (and vehicle Voltron!) and other similar efforts of that era, IMO.
Agreed - he did a hell of a job at a time when no one really cared about the quality of children's programming. He brought a series over, added a few series to it to make it playable here, and kept it mostly true to the source material. Enough so that it made a life-long fan of me. Macek gets a lot of hate, but not from me.

07 Geese a Laying wrote: View Post
Robotech: The Movie which can be seen here. I don't know where it fits though. I read that it takes place during The Macross Saga. I didn't go out of my way to see it because I also read that it's only loosely connected to the series. I don't now what that means, but a few weeks ago, I didn't want to bother with anything that wasn't canon or really essential.
It's garbage. It's another unrelated anime that they tried to cram (MUCH less successfully) into Robotech continuity. It's actually a movie called Megazone 23 which itself is only okay. If you're a "must see everything" Robotech fan, you're gonna hunt it down anyway probably, but I would caution you against it.

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
No it's not. It only looks good in comparison to Zero or Seven.
It does look better, of course, but I also do think it's actually quite good. The main character is personality-less and basically acts as a viewer cypher - which sucks - but the story of the series is cool, the new designs are cool, and the 25th anniversary nods to the previous stuff is really cool. I do like the movies better, though. Alto actually sacks up and makes a choice at the end and it's a bit of a tighter story all around.

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
There's a Macross 30th anniversary GAME that will be out soon for PS3. Haven't heard about any new anime...
Yeah, new game called Macross 30 for the anniversary and there is a animated thing called FB7 but as I understand it, it's just stock animation from Frontier and 7 - it's the characters from Frontier seeing what happened to the 7 fleet, but it's only a retelling of Macross 7.

I'm actually heading over to Japan next April and I'm looking forward to snagging a copy of Macross 30.
Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.
Bishop76 is offline   Reply With Quote