View Single Post
Old December 14 2012, 08:34 PM   #40
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile
Re: Rush to be Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

I guess my thought is that "Rock n Roll" has become so loosly defined... The early pioneers, Bill Haley, the Fireballs, Buddy Holly, Richie Valens, Roy Orbison, Elvis, Jerry Lee and Chet Atkins (just to name a scant few) WERE Rock n Roll in their day, but found popularity as popular (or Pop) music started to change... Suddenly Rock of that era WAS pop music.. Oldies stations now are a mix of two.. (On a side note, as a former Oldies format DJ, I'm saddened that some of the music of my generation's early days (mid 70's) is now starting to creep into that format, dammit!!!)...

Country music has mostly been stand-alone, so entrants to their music hall of fame are easier to understand.. But then again, Country purists who favor Patsy, Hank Sr and others from the Grand Ol' Opry tend to dislike much of today's "Pop" oriented country from the likes of Toby Keith, Carrie Underwood and Garth Brooks.. Then you have the bluegrass crowd.. LOL...

Rock has so many definitions... Prog, Metal, Psychadelic, Folk, Hard, Soft, etc, with the subcatagory of "classic"...

It's hard for me to process acts like Madonna, Donna Summer, Abba and Dionne Warwick being inducted in the RRHOF.. In fact, it pisses me off in many ways...

But the arguement can be made that some of the acts we now consider Pop or Country, were at their outset, part of the Rock movement.. Rod Stewart, for example... These days, he's as "pop" as they come, but I don't think anyone could argue that in the late 60's and 70's, he was definitely a Rocker... Not by Rush standards, by any means, but Rock none the less...