View Single Post
Old December 14 2012, 06:39 PM   #1262
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

331. Reindeer Games (✩✩✩½) - Blu-ray - I don't review movies I've already seen, but I recently purchased the director's cut on blu-ray and that sort of qualifies it as a "new" movie. It was about 20 minutes longer, but it was hard to spot what was added. Still, I enjoyed it as a fun Christmas movie and hope to keep enjoying it around the holidays for years to come.

332. Ben-Hur (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - Finally saw this classic and loved it's story and epic feel. I liked the idea of having the life of Jesus as a side story to the main plot. It was a nice touch. I read that the author of the original novel did this because he didn't think that people at the time would accept a novel that was focussed directly on Jesus.

333. Now & Forever (✩✩✩✩) - DVD - This is an independent Canadian film that stars Mia Kirshner and Adam Beach. Kirshner plays a small-town girl with an abusive boyfriend who wants to escape and move away, and Beach plays the guy who likes her even if she doesn't feel the same way. That's all you need to know. I got it because I like Mia, but ended up enjoying the ride. It's more than just a small love story. It's a thriller with a surprise waiting at the end. This could have done well with more exposure. I thought it was one of Beach's and Kirshner's better projects.

334. The Captains (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - A documentary film by William Shatner where he spends time with the other five captains in Trek. It started off rather slow, but got pretty engaging. Shatner is a great interviewer, one of the best, if not the best I've ever seen. For someone with a big ego, he's quite good at being more of a friend who comes over to talk than a self centered journalist who's after the Pulitzer prize like so many others are. As a result, he can get to the heart of the matter and get people to talk about things they ordinarily wouldn't with your usual journalist. I wouldn't mind tracking down a few episodes of Raw Nerve to see more of Shatner's style. Oh, and they say that Avery Brooks was a little "out there", but I didn't find him all that odd.

335. Scream 4 (✩✩½) - DVD - Stylized as "SCRE4M". This one was on my zip list and arrived in the mail, so I decided to watch it before I sent it back. It starts off trying to be clever but it's pretty cringe-worthy, then it becomes somewhat watchable and in the end, it's pretty forgettable. The highlight is that it added Emma Roberts to the cast. She's pretty and I've taken an interest in her career.

336. Bad Santa (✩✩✩✩) - Blu-ray - Another Christmas movie that I've already seen but recently purchased on blu-ray. The disc I got had two versions of the film… The director's cut, whhich is shorter and supposedly made darker with it's edits, and an extended version known as "Badder Santa". I saw the latter. I couldn't see exactly what was added in those 8 to 10 extra munutes, but as with Reindeer Games, this is a great Christmas movie that's lewd and a lot of fun to watch. I hear that they're making a sequel that's supposed to come out next year.

337. Holiday in Handcuffs (✩✩½) - Live TV - A 20-something woman who's life is going nowhere kidnaps a guy who's already engaged and through a series of events, gets him to pose as the boyfriend she's been telling her parents about when she visits them. Stars Melissa Joan Hart and Mario Lopez. There were a few instances where Lopez' character had a chance to escape and didn't. Other than that, it wasn't as contrived as it could have been. In the end, it was ABC Family fun and not much else.

338. It's Kind of a Funny Story (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - A teenage boy checks himself into a mental hospital. The supporting cast includes Emma Roberts, Zach Galifianakis and Lauren Graham. It wasn't great, but it was a good enough piece that had it's moments and insights on mental health and perfectionism. I also enjoyed seeing more of Emma Roberts.

339. Holiday Spin (✩✩½) - Live TV - A boy's mother is killed and he movies in with his estranged dad. They're a family of dancers and the movie revolves around trying to win a dance competition at Christmas so that the dad's studio can be saved. The dance part is similar to what happened in Silver Linings Playbook. It's your usual TV movie fare, but it had Ralph Macchio as the dad and I must say, he looks fantastic for a 50 year old man. Looks like the big kid he's always looked like. Oh, and this took place in Miami but it was hot in Calgary.

340. Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (✩✩½) - DVD - I recently got into Robotech and capped it off with this 2006 movie that follows the series. More on that here.

341. Under the Mistletoe (✩✩½) - Live TV - Boy's father dies and he appears to his son as a ghost so that he can help her find a new man. Jaime Ray Newman plays the mother and Michael Shanks plays the prospective guy. Guess how this one ends. It's TV schlock, but hey, it had Shanks and Jaime Ray Newman. It occurred to me that she would have made a pretty good Barbara Gordon.

342. A Christmas Kiss (✩✩½) - Live TV - A young woman kisses a stranger in an elevator, then meets him some time later and finds out he's engaged to her mean boss. This is the third movie I've seen this month where one of the characters leave their present relationship to pursue true love. I saw this one because I'm up for pretty much any Cristmas movie and Laura Breckenridge is cute.

343. I Do (But I Don't) (✩½) - DVD - Wedding planner meets fireman. Stars Denise Richards and Dean Cain. It's got some clever developments, but otherwise, it's pretty bad.

Theatre: 22
DVD/Blu-ray: 134
Live TV: 133
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 45
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote