Thread: Power Rangers
View Single Post
Old December 14 2012, 04:16 AM   #671
Christopher
Writer

Re: Power Rangers

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
I was incredibly surprised at how lazy some of the "Super Samurai" copying and pasting was.

Sometimes it was word for word/scene for scene from "Shinkenger". The only difference was Caucasian actors.
Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in itself, if the material being adapted is worthwhile. But it seemed problematical in this particular case, since samurai were a hereditary noble class, so the idea of non-Japanese people being samurai seemed incongruous.

However, I did a little research (i.e. checked Wikipedia), and it turns out there apparently were a few Westerners who were named samurai by the Shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu. And they were given honorary Japanese names. So I suppose it's not entirely impossible that this multiethnic bunch of characters could be descended from samurai families, and that Jayden and Lauren's family could be known as Shiba. It's a pretty huge stretch, but then, the franchise has never exactly been known for plausibility or historical verisimilitude. (Angel Grove somehow managed to be both a colonial American town in the 18th century and a Western town in the 19th despite being in California in the 20th.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote