View Single Post
Old December 13 2012, 02:35 PM   #1927
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RJDonner&Blitzen wrote: View Post
And, except maybe for the "above the president" part, sounds exactly like X-Files, who dealt with the paranormal and the extraterrestrial.
No, to me it sounds like the opposite of The X-Files. Mulder & Scully were on the outside of the vast overarching government conspiracy that knew about all this stuff, and they were trying to unearth all these secrets that they were shut out of knowing. Weird Desk would be about the characters who are the vast overarching government conspiracy. So they're on opposite sides of the veil of secrecy. In that sense it's more like Warehouse 13 -- a show about the people behind the secret government conspiracy. Or at least like Fringe, where the investigators are fully backed by the government rather than having it work against them as with Mulder & Scully.

S.H.I.E.L.D. was always a James Bond type of deal, and since this is a spin-off of the recent Avengers movie, superheroes are a reasonable expectation.
Yes, and superpowers are essentially a paranormal phenomenon, often rooted in supernatural abilities, weird science, or extraterrestrial influence. So yes, there is a lot of overlap in the concept, even if there are differences in style.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote