View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 09:31 PM   #23
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: 2013 Transmission / Shooting Details

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
I don't think the amount of years anyone has been watching telly has anything to do with it.
Why not? My experience means I've long since passed the point of expecting anything from the tv companies.
An old man sits on his porch rocker at dusk, smoking a pipe or doing something equally picturesque. His grandson sits on the porch floor beside him.

"Quite a storm we had last night," the old man says.

"Yep," his grandson replies. "Not out of the ordinary for December, though. More or less what you'd expect."

"Well, as to that, when you've been watching the weather as long as I have, you don't come to expect anything. Storms come back when they come back. Why, once it snowed like that in April."

The young man hesitates. "Did it, grandfather? That must have been quite a time. But still, you know, it doesn't usually snow in April, and it usually does in December. And they say storms come for a reason. The, um, weather experts, and all."

"Weather experts!" The old man snorts. "Thinking there's all these patterns to it, and they still get things wrong half the time! Don't you listen to them, my lad. Don't you bother!"

"But," the young buy continues after another pause, well aware that he's out of his depth when it comes to meteorology, "even when they get things wrong, can't they usually explain why? What changed unexpectedly, or what improbable thing happened that made their forecast go wrong? I mean, isn't there still a logic to it? And isn't the weather usually one way in one month and another way in another? Even if strange things happen sometimes?"

The old man smiles indulgently. "You'll see what I mean when you're older, my boy. My experience means I've long since passed the point of expecting anything from the weather."

Anyway, the point is, I'm not aggrieved by the recent scheduling decisions. Doctor Who is my favourite tv show, but I don't need it to be shown to me at any regular times. There's plenty of other things to do in the meantime. Whatever PR bullshit mind games Moffat likes to play, well that's not affecting me - I don't take it as a personal affront. I don't care. I'm happy when the programme comes back on, but there's loads more Doctor Who to occupy me the rest of the time.
Has anyone in this thread claimed to be aggrieved, to be taking anything as a personal affront, or to need Doctor Who shown to them at regular times? It's possible to be sarcastically dismissive of PR bullshit mind games without feeling any of those things. I'm sure there are people out there in the dark corners of the Internet who do feel those things, and that's a little sad, but what's it got to do with the present discussion?