View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 09:18 PM   #20
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Re: 2013 Transmission / Shooting Details

Andrew_Kearley wrote: View Post
If the Beeb are really that pissed off with Moffat's performance, wouldn't they move the show over to a new production team?
I don't think they're "that pissed;" I just don't believe they're the primary source of the recent schedule fluctuations.
All have been big recent hits though.
I think you'd be hard pressed to make a quantifiable argument that any of those shows bar Downton Abbey was ever more of a hit than Doctor Who, which is still performing essentially as it was in 2005, is right now. Some long-running shows peter-out in gaps, delays, and specials, and some don't, for a variety of individual and specific reasons, not because that's the way of all celluloid.
Well, when you've been watching telly as long as I have, you don't come to expect anything. Shows come back when they come back.
I don't think the amount of years anyone has been watching telly has anything to do with it.

I'm not utterly averse to the idea that budget is a factor, but the prospect that the only thing BBC Wales could think of to do was to cut production of its most popular programme in half in that programme's 50th anniversary year... well, if that's the actual reason, there's a serious failure of imagination going on. And just last August, Moffat said that while of course he would always like more money, "Doctor Who is incredibly well looked after by the BBC." Is that just PR? Maybe, but the same possibility exists for any other explanation he might give or deny.