View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 08:48 PM   #28
Re: New JJ Abrams interview

Prancer the Sith wrote: View Post
"This movie was not made for 'Star Trek' fans; it was made for movie fans.
What's a movie fan?

Is a movie fan someone who likes all movies? If that’s the case, why wouldn’t they like a movie made for Star Trek fans? Or do they just like movies that are original? That can’t be the case because this movie is a sequel to a movie based off of a TV series. Is it because movie fans don’t want to be hindered by anything that requires previous viewing? If that’s so, why do a lot of sequels that continue the events of the last movie manage to gross more than the previous one did? Are movie fans the type of fans who prefer to be entertained? If that's the case, how come we get movies that don't get good reviews? How come one film will be critically acclaimed yet bomb at the box office, yet a film that was universally panned becomes one of the highest grossing films of the year? Are movie fans selective? If movie fans are selective, shouldn't he have used a more specific term? I seriously doubt you can make a movie that can appeal to everyone.

Why couldn’t JJ have just said “I want to make a good movie set in the Star Trek universe” rather than being so upfront about not giving a crap about Star Trek fans? Does JJ think that Star Trek fans prefer their movies to be bad? I don't think so because Star Trek V and Nemesis bombed. Nemesis was practically built with the intention of making it more mainstream and it was still panned by movie and star trek fans alike. So why should movie fans get a shout out but Star Trek fans get the dissing?

…………What if a Movie fan is a Star Trek fan?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote